Saturday, February 18, 2012

How soon can you begin having sex after starting Loestrin 24e? I have irregular periods which is problematic.?

I've been taking progesterone pills (5 each month) to treat my irregular periods (PCOS), since without the pills I would have a period every 3 months or sometimes even less frequently than that. These pills do not prevent pregnancy and were used only to induce menstruation. I recently asked my ob/gyn about contraception options and she said that birth control pills would be a good option since it would also regulate my periods. She prescribed Loestrin 24e and said that I should start taking them when I have my period, and since mine were unpredictable I could take the progesterone pills and then begin the birth control. I understand that if my cycles were normal I would wait a week before having sex without an alternative form of contraception. However, my ob/gyn neglected to tell me when I could begin having sex safely. I wonder if I should wait a month until I finish my first pack.How soon can you begin having sex after starting Loestrin 24e? I have irregular periods which is problematic.?Technically birth control pills are supposed to start working during the first month as the hormone levels in the pill should be inhibiting ovulation. However, I would recommend using a barrier method until the second month to give your body a chance to adjust to the hormone levels. Other forms of birth control like the Depo shot work as soon as you get them, so there's no lag time.



Whether or not you should wait depends on how paranoid you are about being pregnant. The pill is supposed to be 99% effective when taken perfectly (at the same exact time +/- 1 hour every day. However most people don't do that. I don't even take my multivitamin at the same time everyday, haha.



I hope this helps.
  • pick a part
  • nada bluebook
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment