Thursday, January 26, 2012

How can I create print ready text?

I'm trying to create a souvenir program for a party we're having. It's going to be an 8.5X11 colored booklet that we're getting printed somewhere online. I'm editing the pictures and making all the backgrounds like gradients and borders in Photoshop CS3. I'm working and saving everything at 300dpi CMYK. I'm a little worried about the text though. I heard that the text in Photoshop might not print as clear so I was going to import all my images/page layouts into Microsoft Word 08, add the text there, and then save as a PDF. Then, I read some stuff online saying that the text in that program isn't that great when you're sending it to printers too. Since I only have those two programs, which one do you think will create the clearest text and and how can I achieve that? If I go with Photoshop I don't think I'll have to convert to PDF. I might be able to send a bunch of tiff files if I zip them all. I'm using a mac by the way. If the difference in text clarity is minimal, please let me know. This stuff is boggling my mind. :/



Thank you in advance to any and all help!!How can I create print ready text?
300DPI should be OK for your text in any case, unless you are using a particularly high end printing process.



However, if you *don't* flatten the text in Photoshop and save as PDF with the Layers box checked (it is by default), the text is saved as scalable anyway, so the resolution isn't an issue. The printer will usually want a CMYK PDF as you say.



What might be a problem, apart from the sheer tedium of doing it this way in a program not designed for it (you need InDesign, Quark XPress, Serif Page Plus or Microsoft Publisher to do this job properly), is the line and character spacings. You can do it properly in Photoshop, but it's hard to make the text flow properly if you make a change, and it certainly can't set text justified, or deal with automatic hyphenation etc. But what you see is what you get, so at least you know what it will look like.



If you have pictures or colour going right to the edge of the page, you have to do what is called "bleed" the picture: make the page a bit bigger (typically 3mm or 1/10 inch all round) and take the picture to the edge of that. The printer then has some leeway to cut through the edge of your picture so you don't get slivers of white showing if the printing or cutting is ever so slightly off. Also don't take any text closer than 3mm to the edge of the page (page, not the larger bleed area) in case it gets cut off.



I really, really wouldn't use Word for this unless you want to do things with the text which are really difficult in Photoshop. And if you do, do it the other way round: bring the text into Photoshop from a PDF produced in Word (which will rasterize the text when you import it). Word doesn't control graphics for printing at all well.
  • money games
  • spiderman the musical
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment