Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rasmussen vs. University of Phoenix?

I am trying to decide which school to go with out of these two. I have done so much research that now my mind is boggled! I am 25 yrs old, married, work full time, and have already filled out FAFSA and ONLY qualify for loans. I have an Associates degree in Accounting from a community college and would be transferring credits to obtain my Bachelor's in Accounting. I prefer the online classes. I have tried both online and in class training and prefer the online. By the way, I would be paying for school myself and I am a normal average paid person. Any suggestions? Thanks!Rasmussen vs. University of Phoenix?
I know both of the colleges you have mentioned are bit high of fee but if they provide you with the education quality of that level then there are no issues. So the quality of education matters not the fee. No matter whatever the fee you will certainly get it back by you job that you will get from the reputed degree earned. I can suggest you place were you may find the all the reputed colleges listed. Go to http://www.thedegreeexperts.com/online-c鈥?/a> here is the list of top online colleges also you can get all the information required for each colleges that includes accreditation, fee and student review.



Select the one that suits you the most.
I'd really rather you stay away from the for-profit colleges like U of Phoenix and Rasmussen, because some employers actually *violently* dislike such schools, so much so that seeing them on your resume will make them put your resume into the circular file (read: trash bin). Since your associates is from a reputable college, I'd rather you get your bachelors from a reputable, traditional, brick and mortar college - one that also offers online degrees.



Southern New Hampshire U offers an online BS in accounting:

http://www.snhu.edu/244.asp



Other traditional colleges that offer an online BS in accounting include Regis U, Liberty U (although they're tied into a specific Christian group, so you'd want to be comfortable with that before enrolling), Benedictine U, and Upper Iowa U.



In general, you'll find online degrees to be more expensive than going on campus to your local state college.Rasmussen vs. University of Phoenix?
Don't do it. For-profit colleges such as UOP are currently under investigation for fraud by the US government. http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2鈥?/a>



Look into your local state colleges/universities, and see what they offer online. You'll get a better education, a degree that employers won't laugh at, and you'll save a ton of money.
I would choose Rasmussen over UOP. I went to UOP in 2005, it was a nightmare. People will say its just as good as others but that is a complete lie.



Since you have an AA from a real school, if you go there youll figure it out...



1. Everyone gets A's, they all have 4.0 GPA - Keeps spirits high so you stay

2. Everyone is on financial aid because they cant afford the 1600 a class, its way too expensive

3. Teachers have MBA's and BA's not PhDs



I have a teacher named Ronique, she didnt even show up, gave everyone an A. I specifically plagerized large sections of a paper and nothing happened, still got my A. When I protested that the teacher wasnt around and we still got As, UOP wasnt willing to refund money, just let me take the class again for free. That is when I realized it was one big scam.



I suggest you keep looking...



National University - Good Online Program, and on campus, so it is not looked at like a diploma mill

Walden University - Decent where I graduated from. Now I work at a Top consulting firm (rated in Forbes as top 100) and I got in the back door with the Walden Degree... Only opens doors it takes smarts and determination to make it. A UOP degree wont even open the door.Rasmussen vs. University of Phoenix?
I know you are getting tired of looking at schools, and feel like you have narrowed it down to these two, but both of these schools are high-convenience, high-cost schools.



I got information from University of Phoenix, and for a degree I was looking at, it would have cost $25,000, and I got the same degree from University of Louisville, also completely online for under $8,000.



Please don't borrow more than you have to, or pay extra for a school.



Several options for you to look at:

* find out from your HR department if they provide any assistance for you to go to school

* check with your community college and see if they already have agreements with any schools (in Kentucky, we have a plan where if you start at a community college, you continue to pay community college rates for classes at in-state universities, roughly 50% off)

* check with your in-state colleges to see if any of them offer all online programs. Many do.



If you want to know if a school is accredited, check http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/



You might also talk to people in your field, and see how the various schools are perceived. You might pay $25K for an degree from a specialty online school (that advertises heavily), only to find out that most employers prefer the $4000 degree you could have gotten from the regional state school that is just down the road.



Another thing to consider. You are 25 and married. If you take out $25,000 in loans, and then have a baby, and want to stay home, you might not be able to. You might have to go to work. Taking less out in loans (zero is best) will give you more options/flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment