Monday, January 30, 2012

What happened to my Funny Cake?

I found a recipe for a Pennsylvania Dutch Funny Cake, which, if you've never heard of it, is basically like a cake in a pie crust. It sounded good so I made a recipe I found online. I preheat the oven to the correct temperature, I placed the rack in the middle of the oven, I double checked all the ingredients--in short, I've been baking for a long time and I knew what I was doing. Yet, I'm stumped. It was supposed to bake for about thirty five minutes. The stupid thing was in the oven for well over an hour and I finally gave up and pulled it out. It was still raw and nasty and gooey on the inside and had a rock hard crust on the outside. I don't understand what went wrong. It was literally a cake batter that went over a fudge bottom in a pie crust. I haven't had problems with cake in over a decade. Any ideas? It's boggling my mind!What happened to my Funny Cake?
It sounds like your oven might need a service call. But you probably would have noticed if the temp was way low.



Only other thought is for you to check other recipes and see if your quantities are similar to theirs for the pan size.What happened to my Funny Cake?
It may be an altitude problem. I can't honestly say though.

No comments:

Post a Comment