Monday, January 23, 2012

VIDEO CAM EXPERTS: What model would you recommend for my specific uses?

I've been looking online for weeks, but still am boggled by the many choices out there, and am looking for specific recommendations so I don't end up with a camera that doesn't fit my needs.



SHOOTIONG LOCATION:



I will be shooting teaching videos in a very small room. Will use a tripod with very little camera movement. Mostly shots of myself at a green marker board. Will rig up some flourescent lighting.



DELIVERY:



After editing the videos (simple cuts, titling, music) in a program like Sony Vegas, I will upload them to YouTube and other free file hosting sites, as well as to my own website. In time, I hope to be able to create a subscription service, so the videos should have a commercial look. As well, I hope in the future to compile my lectures onto a DVD that I can sell. Until that point, though, I do not need any hard copies of the lectures, so I have been looking at hard disk cams.



NEEDS:



I don't think I need any special bells and whistles (zoom, high-speed motion capture, etc), just a high-quality picture that seems very professional, as well as clear sound (which I worry about in such a small room; I'll have to cover the walls to reduce echo). I'm not sure if there are certain models that faciliate editing and internet publishing, but if so I guess I should be looking at these. I'm also unsure as to whether or not I'll need a mic jack and wireless mike in such a small room, or if the camera's internal mike will be able to capture my lectures clearly enough.



That's a summary of things so far. What kind of camera can fit these needs? Any advice would be much appreciated!VIDEO CAM EXPERTS: What model would you recommend for my specific uses?
If you want the best picture, I'd recommend the Canon Vixia HV40 HDV camcorder. Currently it's about $835 with free shipping (link in source).



The reason I recommend this one over a standard definition one is that most of those record in 480i (with is interlaced, which doesn't loo very good on a computer screen. Plus Youtube supports HD video now too).



And I think it looks more professional if you shoot the video in the highest possible quality then you can convert it down to DVD quality when your ready to put it on DVD.



It does use MiniDV tape which uses 1080p MPEG 2 which is the most supported, easier to edit and doesn't take as much processing power as other camcorders that use AVCHD. Also since the video is digital you can keep reusing the tape without any video/audio loss. You can easily transfer your video over to your computer using the Firewire.VIDEO CAM EXPERTS: What model would you recommend for my specific uses?
Format of camcorder 100% mini-dv better quality.



HDD cameras are not the way to go, video format is highly compressed, and can be very expensive to update a computer to edit the video.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DV



What ever your final media it will deliver outstanding quality.



Do not use fluorescent lighting as this flickers and can be picked up, by the camera proper lighting is needed. That does not have to be expensive, be reasonably good ones are worth the money.



external mics for your use are not going to be cheap, again its down to quality. Normally higher end camcorders come with input jacks for mic and headphones. Camcorders mics are not that good even on higher end cameras.



if you wish to upload your video to the net then maybe it would be worth converting your stuff to flash. Better to do it yourself as you will have more control of the finished video.



As for a particular model its up to you because of what you are going to do you need to get your hands on the cameras. there is very little point reading about them and making your mind up, much better to bother some sales person for half an hour or two, to find the best camera for you. then make a short list and try them again.



just don't rush into buying one.



Good luck



RR

No comments:

Post a Comment